Here are the last four outfits that I styled with this one dress. Just in case you are new to the party, this one dress was styled 12 different ways. You can catch up by reading about the previous outfits here:
As I promised, I will be sharing about what I learned from this challenge, so stick with me until the end!
Look 9: The proportions of this look work really well, and let me tell you why. If you were to cut my body into 3 equal pieces (1/3’s), you would see that my top 1/3 is the chunky cream sweater, and my bottom 2/3 is the maroon dress and brown tights & boots. In geometry this is called the golden mean, or the golden ratio. I’ll go into this a little more in the future, but for now just know that math is everywhere, even in fashion. Anytime you proportion 1/3 & 2/3 in this way with two colors, you’ll nail the look!
When we planned a trip to Tennessee for six days, I was very excited to test out my capsule wardrobe on a smaller scale. So, I did a little planning session on a post-it note. These are some of the notes that I wrote:
- 1 dressy outfit for dinner
- 1 outfit for hiking
- Coat! Finally!
- Comfy driving clothes
Here’s my packing list for 6 days:
- long grey dress
- 2 t-shirts
- striped long sleeve shirt
- white button down shirt
- pull-over sweater
- long cardigan
- jean jacket
- 3 pairs of shoes
- 1 scarf, 2 pairs of earrings, 1 belt, tights, and a necklace
12 ways to style 1 dress consciouscapsule.com
I’ve shared with you that I challenged myself to style the same dress twelve different ways, but I haven’t exactly told you why.
Here’s why. I was seven months into capsule wardrobing, and really getting the hang of things. I had my well-thought out, pared down closet that included key pieces that went with everything. But, something inside of me was itching to find out how far I could push the theory of a basic wardrobe necessity. I kid-you-not that I arbitrarily chose the number twelve because of the twelve days of Christmas. (It was December after all.) Once I chose that number, it was game on! And, if you make it to the end of series I’ll share with you everything that I learned. It is guaranteed to surprise you!
If you missed the introduction, please visit 12 Days of a Dress so that you can get caught up on what’s going on here. Now, I’m sure you have a few questions concerning this challenge, so let me get these out of the way. By the way, these are real questions that I was asked by my family and friends (in real life, so they are legit!)
- Are you actually wearing this dress every day? Hate to burst your bubble, but NO. I wore the dress 8 out of 12 times. I’m also a stay-at-home-mom so I didn’t need to leave the house every day.
- Did you wash the dress? I washed it and line dried it every weekend. Yes, this gal sweats, and thank you for asking instagram follwer.
- Why are you doing the dress thingy? It began as a personal challenge, and turned into a tool to help empower women on how to be creative with a basic dress, and not feel like they have nothing to wear.
- Will you do it again? Absolutely.
- Did you photograph yourself every day? Nope. My eleven year old daughter graciously shot these photos in front of our house on two different days. She rocks!